About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader Video Library
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

The American Sharps Shooters

Author Topic: The legend of the "Two-fer" gun  (Read 419 times)

Offline Longhunter

The legend of the "Two-fer" gun
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
Some years ago I got the itch for another flintlock smoothbore. There was a local gun maker that was getting a good reputation and he was reasonable so I commissioned him to build me a 20ga smoothbore, plain jane  gun. By the time the gun was finished it was already into the late  muzzleloading  season.

I planned on heading up to the farm that weekend and as luck would have it we had a good amount of snow on the ground. The down side was I didn't have time to shoot the gun with a round ball so I just loaded it with 80gr's of 2-ff and a 595 patched roundball.

I was in the woods before daylight and worked my way to a favorite spot where I knew the deer traveled. I found my old log where I usually sit,  brushed off the snow and settled down to watch the woods come alive on a cold crisp morning.

I wasn't really expecting much action right away, I was just happy to be in the woods with a new gun resting across my knees. I was dress in traditional wool clothing which to me helps set the mood when hunting with a traditional muzzleloader.

The morning was  still with no wind so that I heard them coming before I saw them. I turned to see a half dozen deer come out of the pines coming in my direction. They were all does and I had my antlerless permit in my bag so I eared back the hammer on my new untried gun.

They weren't moving fast, just ambling in a slow walk. As they came abreast of me they were probably only 25 yards away. I had my eye on the lead doe as I slowly raised the gun to my shoulder. I lined up the front bead with the shadow of the tang screw and held behind her shoulder as I started to squeeze the trigger.

Offline Longhunter

Re: The legend of the "Two-fer" gun
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:04:05 PM »
At the clack/boom a large cloud of white smoke obliterated everything in front of me. Then I saw the big doe as she whirled and headed back the way she had came. She couldn't have made more than three jumps covering maybe 30 yards when she plowed nose first in the snow. My attention was one her until after she was down and then I watched as the other deer scattered.....all except one and it was kicking it's last just beyond where the first deer I had shot had been.

At first I didn't realize what had happened, I thought..."what's wrong with that deer" but it only took a few seconds to figure out what had happened.....the 20gage ball had passed through the first deer and put down the other deer behind it that I hadn't noticed. I had just killed two deer with one shot.   :o

Here's the first deer

Here's with the two of them hanging. I actually had two antlerless permits so both deer were legally tagged.  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:19:45 PM by Longhunter »

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
I found the big ball just under the hide on the opposite side of the 2nd deer. It almost completely penetrated both deer. You can see how it is deformed next to an unfired ball on the right.

When I told the story to some friends one of them said I should name the gun, "Ol' Two-Fer" so that's what it's been called ever since.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:12:01 PM by Longhunter »

Offline Woodchucker

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:43:04 AM »
That's some fine shootin' Ron!!!!!
(and eatin'!!!)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »
 ;D 

Only YOU, Ron, could go to the woods with an unfired gun and kill two deer with one shot!  LMBO...

That's great!

At that range, I guess it wasn't a big deal, but gracious!  ???  And to think I used to load 100 gr. of 3f behind a 50 cal ball back in PA...

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »
Only YOU, Ron, could go to the woods with an unfired gun and kill two deer with one shot!

They don't call me "Lucky LaClair" for nothin.  :D

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »
Only YOU, Ron, could go to the woods with an unfired gun and kill two deer with one shot!

They don't call me "Lucky LaClair" for nothin.  :D

Taking 2 deer with one shot is one thing, two with an unfired gun is a whole other story, but the kicker is you had TWO doe tags in your pocket..

If all the stars aligned for most of us in a situation like that, we'd be illegal and in a bind!

I Hope your Luck continues for many years to come, Hoss! ;D

Offline dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 08:50:03 AM »
I'd rather be lucky than good any day. Great story, Ron!

Darren