About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader Video Library
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

Author Topic: Doubling up with our smokepoles!  (Read 257 times)

Offline dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
Doubling up with our smokepoles!
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
Had a great weekend with my new friend, Joe Hollingshad, the owner of Devil's Backbone Wilderness Outfitters near Dora, MO. Joe invited me to hunt on his place with my longbow a couple of weeks ago and learned that I also hunt with a traditional muzzleloader. Not having anyone else to play with, he invited me to come back the second weekend of Missouri's firearms deer season to hunt with a smokepole. We had a great time dressing up in our leathers and telling stories of past hunts. Joe has some very nice bucks on his place but we were both hoping just to get some meat. The weather sucked on Saturday with the mach 4 winds but Sunday morning was prime. Within a couple of hours of daylight we both had does on the ground and Joe's grandson, Levi, killed his first deer ever; a nice 8-pointer. Can't wait to visit with these fine folks again!

Equipment notes: My gun is a 50 caliber flintlock Lancaster longrifle built by my good friend, John Pruitt. Joe's gun is a 54 caliber percussion cap made by a local gunsmith. I made all my leathers and my fine coyote hat was made by my buddy, Brian Peterson.

Offline Mike Yancey

Re: Doubling up with our smokepoles!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:54:56 AM »
Good stuff!

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:51:31 PM »
Good shooting,  Darren!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
Goes to show: Location - location - location!

Nice Job...

Question: You guys don't have to wear orange during firearms seasons?  Sweet looking outfits...Blaze rather ruins the effect!

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »
That shines Darren.  :thumbs:

When I saw the title, "Doubling up with our smokepoles" I thought it was gonna be about carrying two guns...which I occasionally do  ;)

Offline dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
Got mine all put in the freezer yesterday. When I am through hunting for the season, I will grind up my scrap meat to make breakfast sausage and summer sausage.

We do have to wear orange in Missouri during the firearms season but I usually take it off for photos; especially when I have my fancy leathers on.

Darren

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:13:07 AM »

We do have to wear orange in Missouri during the firearms season but I usually take it off for photos; especially when I have my fancy leathers on.

Darren

Darren, I wasn't fussin at ya, I honestly didn't know, but I do have a friend in W. MO who wants me to move there, so I was curious... He says there are a running ton of deer, but I don't think I've got another move left in these ole bones... Too many unknowns when moving to new place and too much work packing a lifetime of drivel...