Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: First mule deer and first blackpowder kill  (Read 811 times)

Online bbell

First mule deer and first blackpowder kill
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:14:43 AM »
Just got back from a quick hunt. I burned 9 preference points this year thinking I had more time to hunt. Due to a trip that got moved I ended up with only 2.5 days to hunt. I made the best of it and ended up taking this doe the last morning. Nothing to exiting cause spotted them off the road. I got out and got off the forest service road and tried to get into position. Missed my first shot when I used a sapling as a rest. Bad idea, I think I would have been steadier off hand. They stayed put so I reloaded and dropped to a stump. That shot took her right on the shoulder and passed through the offside rib cage. She walked about 10yds and fell over kicking. I ended putting another one in her cause she wasn’t quite finished yet. Something I learned was that the .54 is not a good finisher for shooting them in the head.  ??? Overall we saw more than 50 deer and I put a stalk on a buck that was around 26” but he pinned us down 130yds out with only his face showing. It was a fun hunt! I used a Lyman GPR .54. 90gr of Swiss FFFg with a mink oil patch and a .530 ball. Also added the pic of the car because everyone thinks all Subaru drivers are hippies  ;)
Brandon

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
Re: First mule deer and first blackpowder kill
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:09:31 AM »
Congrats!Saw this over on ALR too.Subies are the official VT state car  :P

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:35:35 AM »
Any critter brought to hand is a trophy in my eyes! Congrats! :thumbs:

Online bbell

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »
For sure! I am pretty proud of my first BP kill. If I had more days to hunt we might have been able to get a buck but that’s how it goes.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
Don't take this wrong way, but girls eat better then boys when it comes to venison IMO.... ::) 8)

Offline FlintNSteel

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Congrats on your first BP kill!  :thumbs:  Looks like a lot of good eatin' there.  I've only had mule deer once...I have a friend in CO.  I liked it, but is sure tasted different than our midwest corn-fed Whitetails!
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."  Theodore Roosevelt

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:13:34 PM »
Congrats on your first BP kill!  :thumbs:  Looks like a lot of good eatin' there.  I've only had mule deer once...I have a friend in CO.  I liked it, but is sure tasted different than our midwest corn-fed Whitetails!

When I first moved to MT back in late 70's, that first year I got to kill a big ole Mulie doe...she'd been feeding on sage and GAK... the more you cooked it, the stronger it was with sage taste and that wild sage brush ain't the sage you use to spice stuff! :(

I was fortunate those 5-6 yrs there to have a FW guy take me under wing and figure out where to put in for doe and antelope tags... where they irrigated for Hay... Man that was good eats.  I never shot a prairie ungulate after that.. if they were feeding largely on sagebrush... yuk...

The alfalfa fed prairie goat (Antelope) and all the moolies I got were delicious, cept for that high prairie sage fed one I got right off... Same was true of a moolie a friend got in WY that reeked of sage... :(