About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

Author Topic: My 2017/18 hunting season  (Read 956 times)

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
Re: My 2017/18 hunting season
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2017, 05:29:15 AM »
Went to one of my usual spots Sunday and only managed one.Again.Did find a neat and unusual growing tree I've walked past 700 times and never noticed.

I did have a misfire ,upon which when the pan went off and nothing happened(So much shooting,needed to pick the flash hole) I drifted off to the left.Need to work on follow through better!Still not used to having that flash in my face.Also takes a bit to get used to having to wait for something to happen after pulling trigger.More practice!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2017, 01:16:59 PM »
I'm no danged expert in things BP, but I find that in the past and at my maiden voyage to the range with the GPR, I had 2 flash no boom, cleaning every shot to mimic my cold bore hunting shots, and only one I thought was a bit slow...most I'd set rear trigger, line up, touch the first and it'd startle me when it went off so quickly...

I'd remembered that back in PA with the old T/C too...

Then my flint went dull and all my dozen spares were WAAAY too long... teach me to not check them all before hand!

Doh! lots of fiddle factor in these ole tymie weapons, but it's rather intriguing... getting it to go off is a big part of it and hitting the other 1/2 or a large question mark! ::)

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »
Normally she'll go off for alot of shots before you need to start putting the pick to her.I did a lot of shooting and not a lot of hitting those two days so that's why the misfire.I always give her a cleanout Sunday night for the next weekends' jaunt and start with a clean bore.

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2017, 12:31:34 AM »
I love this time of year to get after them tree rats.

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »
It's a great time to be out for sure! :thumbs:

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2017, 11:58:31 PM »
Two is enough for a good supper.

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2017, 06:43:50 AM »
Meal fit for a coureur de bois,young or old  :camp: :thumbs:

I hope to get some period clothing over the next few years as well.

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2017, 09:40:20 AM »
I love squirrels....right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.  :P

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2017, 02:02:46 PM »
Saturday I headed out and had some better luck than other days.Managed 3 this outing.

We are getting unseasonably hot weather so it limits my hunting and bear hunting is out of the question,as far as risking meat.

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
Well Saturday I got rained out,so spent some time at the forge.

Sunday I headed down to some public land about 20min south of me called Merck forest.Basically another mountain range.I walked in about 1.5 miles and all the way back out and didn't see a single gray till I got back to the truck.Lo and behold there were some hickory trees right there and that's were it was.The woods are mainly Maple and Ash but I've seen greys down there before,but took a different trail this time.Well he beat feet off the trail as soon as I saw him so never had a shot.

Next I headed to one of my standby spots to check a game cam but I had taken my bow with me instead,as I didn't want gunfire in there and disturbance.I'll be bowhunting that spot Saturday.So walked around a little,then got all the way back out to the parking area,and caught a jumper up in the tree.I see he is balled up on a limb in a pine,so took a shot with bow and missed him by a 1/2" of an inch.Decided to get .32 instead of losing another arrow(It's around,just got to search better) as the truck was only 40 yards away.Got back and had to shot up into the trunk to get him moving,as he moved after the bow shot and couldn't see him.Got reloaded and got him in the next tree.

Well that's the last one of Sept squirrel madness.There won't be too many updates in here for a bit until the end of bow season,which starts Saturday for us.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
Nicely done and nice reporting..

Good luck with the sticks!

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2017, 05:20:05 AM »
Thank you sir  :thumbs:

Same to ya if you are doing the same  :camp:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2017, 08:06:57 AM »
Thank you sir  :thumbs:

Same to ya if you are doing the same  :camp:

Oh, there is one place I can go sit with my bow for a while on a WMA I've scouted but found little sign...ONCE, this hot spell breaks...I don't hunt in the heat much... When Lady Luck smiles on me, I like to make use of her bounty and the life I took by putting the meat on the table, and in such hot weather, hunting alone, I fear things could get gnarly for the meat before I get it processed, so I just eschew to hunt till it cools some...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:08:28 AM by doc nock »

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »
Exactly why I had to limit the bear hunts.I hate Indian summers!Darn July like weather in September just ain't right!

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »
Exactly why I had to limit the bear hunts.I hate Indian summers!Darn July like weather in September just ain't right!

Joined a bear hunt club this year and our first week long segment ended yesterday... in 80's most days. Possum Cop friend told me via email this early season is why local commercial processors refuse to take bears as most are sour till they get to processor or spoiled anyway...

They cannot be checked in via phone remotely like deer, but must be taken to a check station which delays it further after however they manage to haul them outa the woods! 

I won't go for bear or deer till it cools off!