About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: My 2017/18 hunting season  (Read 3522 times)

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
Re: My 2017/18 hunting season
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »
Got out Saturday,hunted till 12 for squirrel with the .32.Only managed one again.Had some misses on a couple others.On my way in at about 630 I saw movement in the tree,got over and saw it was a big Porky.I left him there and when I headed back out at 1130 he was still in the same spot so I took him out.He was about 60 feet up in a hickory tree.

I took him back to the house,skinned him( a real test for any skinner lol),got what meat I could off him and got the claws for use later.usually I try to pull the quills out by hand,I've tried Styrofoam blocks,but I am going to try something else this time.These are legal year round for us.The string in the pic is some leather lacing I bought at ETAR and made a crude squirrel carrier that works surprisingly well.

Back to the mountain,this time with the .50.

The walk into this area of public land is all uphill.Most all of the public ground in VT is rugged tracts of mountains that can't be farmed or built on.

I headed up to a different hill in the tract and sat in a saddle waiting till dark.Nothing came in.

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
I got in at 6 again on Sunday.Headed up to my usual spot and shot at a couple and missed.

For a guy that limits out every time he goes out with a scoped .22lr,I know what the guys that went trad from compound feel like now.The challenge is back. ;) I actually "cheated" and brought a pair of binos cause not having a set the day before cost me a 25 yard chip shot on a squirrel that was balled up against a trunk on a limb.

Looking west/southwest off the face of the hill.You can just make out our valley and some of the hills to the southwest.

Got to the top of the hill and sat and enjoyed the cool morning and the sun coming up over the higher mountains to the east.I was carving on my loading block, letting the woods calm down and was surprised by some company.

Doe and a spikehorn about 30-40 yards from me.The wind was doing wacky things up there and the doe must've hit my scent trail 'cause she leaped back at on point after she got on the hill and didn't want to go up over it.They melted back down the way they came.

There is a camp at the foot of these mountains and I met a friend that belongs to it that was doing some work,as I only hunted 'till 11 today.I gained some intel on promising area to see a bear in there as he has hunted that ground for 40 years.It's gonna require going in further(Actaully to the mountain you see behind the deer) but we'll see what happens.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
No shame in misses!  Part of the allure

Seeing is the reality...  :thumbs:

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
Thems  some purdy woods right there....  all in due time til the critter you want shows!

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 08:33:52 PM »
Did my annual September get out of work early,dentist appt and squirrel hunt (haha) today.

On the walk in I lost the stopper to my main powder horn.You'd have thought after I lost and found it at the winter shoot in Feb a couple times I'd have tethered it to something.Boy was I mad,but moseyed on the trail.I bent over to pick up a stick to make a quick stopper,contiuned on while trying to see if it was the right one and in the process lost the other one to the priming horn  :thumbs: Boy oh boy if swearing made trees grow the land owner would've been a millionaire  :wavey:

After getting some new stoppers made,I had one barking at me further down the trail.Then as I was approaching a red squirrel chimed in behind me which worked out perfect cause they started barking at each other and the grey didn't pay any attention to my death creep below him.The first shot, I raised up,aimed while rested against a tree and literally as soon as the sear disengaged from the tumbler the squirrel,which was facing down the tree trunk curled it's body as if to head back up the tree.In my head I said "NOO!!!" and shot were he had been LOL.

So luckily he just ran up the tree and over to the next one and started barking again.So I got a ball stuffed down quick,got into position and made good this time.The sun is blurring him out a bit in the pic.

I like traditional wooden stoppers but for my "good" horn I'm building I'll be buying a brass valve.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »
I'm glad to read the Mr. Murphy visits some others like he does me... everywhere I go or whatever I do, that bone head follows me around... Enough already...

Whittling plugs saves the day, but can surely be exasperating..

Every time I went afield when I lived in Montana, those pesky red type piney squirrels would give me away. I think it'd have been a toss up which one I tried to shoot in your situation!

Once, in MT, I was up on Mt Helena in the capital city of that name and one started raising a ruckus and although I wasn't hunting but just out hiking and getting lungs used to thinner air having just moved there in the early 80's, I picked up a stone and heaved it at him... Now, the thing is as a kid, I couldn't throw and hit nothing accurately, but for whatever reason, I bonked that loud mouth in the head and killed him ...Felt bad as I had no intention of eating that miserable stringy mess, but over the intervening years, that bad guilt started to dissipate. 

Glad your red helped to divert the quarry's attention. Nicely done!

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »
Oh me and Mr.Murphy are WELL acquainted  ::)

Them reds can be quite annoying.I usually run some #1 longsprings with peanut butter on the pan and trap them during trapping season.Then skin and send in to the auction with the rest of my fur but this year there won't be much of that.

I think I know why the plugs came out.Left my horns in the truck with the rest of my gear and the heat probably shrunk them.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 07:50:11 AM »
Skinning porkies and red squirrels...you got dedication, Son! :)  :thumbs:

Too bad you're not closer...I got boucou traps but my type can only be used for water trapping in TN and access is VERY limited

Too heavy to ship Coils, and 7 doz 110, 120, 220, etc and a collection of some OLD Stop Loss #1 LS

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
Gotta thin 'em out somehow .No one does and they are overpopulated here!

Only thing I'm on the look out for anymore is #3 DLS.With a base plate and an aftermarket pan on them they are my go to 'Yote traps.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 07:18:29 AM »
.... I like traditional wooden stoppers but for my "good" horn I'm building I'll be buying a brass valve.

i have built *many* horns with brass thumb valves and still have a pair that i use on occasion, but this year i've gone olde schoole to violin pegged spouts with the last three horns i built ... because brass valves get dirty REAL quick and start sticking on both opening AND closing (not fun!) and then ya gotta fully dismantle the valve and clean it out thoroughly.  not to mention that brass is soft and it will somewhat "peen" with use and make the valve action less than smooth, which requires -yup!- dismantling and sanding/filing off the peened rough spots.  just somethings to be aware about.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »
"back in the day" up in ole PA, I had a cylindrical brass CVA measuer with a flipper lever... dang thing was forever sticking open but it was relatively simple to clean out but I hear what rob's saying for sure.

I'm thinking I need to rig up a bit of dental floss on my plugs to hold them in place

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2017, 05:03:13 PM »
.... I like traditional wooden stoppers but for my "good" horn I'm building I'll be buying a brass valve.

i have built *many* horns with brass thumb valves and still have a pair that i use on occasion, but this year i've gone olde schoole to violin pegged spouts with the last three horns i built ... because brass valves get dirty REAL quick and start sticking on both opening AND closing (not fun!) and then ya gotta fully dismantle the valve and clean it out thoroughly.  not to mention that brass is soft and it will somewhat "peen" with use and make the valve action less than smooth, which requires -yup!- dismantling and sanding/filing off the peened rough spots.  just somethings to be aware about.
Good to know Rob.I have a powder flask that sticks sometimes like you said,need to give her a cleanin' every once and a while.

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »

I'm thinking I need to rig up a bit of dental floss on my plugs to hold them in place
It'd be a good thing to do,trust me!

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2017, 05:18:47 AM »
Saturday headed to one of my best squirrel areas.Many deer have been taken from the old "condo" stand-

Shot at a bunch of them but only managed one again.

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 05:19:29 AM »
Warm and humid here so only hunted till 10,with no bear hunting.