About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader Video Library
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

Author Topic: My 2017/18 hunting season  (Read 2030 times)

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
Re: My 2017/18 hunting season
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 08:24:40 PM »
I ran a piece of trapping wire down there,made sure to twist and reposition it,and came up with the same measurement line as my unloaded mark on the ramrod.

I really don't want to try tackling plug removal with the proper tools (Barrel vise and wrench).I made do with some wood and a crescent wrench on my Fusil barrel but that was a kit I built and is brand new.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 08:36:15 AM »
if you like, i can give the plug removal a go, i'd just need the barrel.  no guarantee i can remove it, but i do have the good tools and have pulled off 99% of the barrels i've attempted to remove, which at this point numbers in the dozens.  once removed, and an assessment is made, i'd snap images and we can take it from there.  the plug would go back on with the excellent Nikal anti-seize lube.  now, as to the touch hole liner, need to see how it fits the barrel/chamber.  this can all be done well after the season, and well into the winter when shooting times are scarce and indoor activities seem more hospitably conducive.   ;)

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »
We may just do that Rob.I can deal with pan tilting for now so I can get out in the woods.Season comes in Fri.

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
Got in the woods at 6 for a modern gun hunt this morning.Missed my limit by one(limit is 4 a day here in VT),so I got what I had done up, got some food in me and headed back out to get the last one.Slipped in under a hickory (which was no easy feat as we've had little rain and the woods are about like a popcorn fart)and took this one out while he was eating.

It's been a long time since I did any serious small gaming with a muzzleloader.Getting back to the swing of it though.I left my loading block at home as today was supposed to be a modern hunt,but brought the flinter anyways.Def want that tomorrow.I took one red squirrel as well and missed another.Loading will be much faster.

Tommorrow we'll try to get the whole limit with the flinter. :thumbs:

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 10:37:53 PM »
Nice shooting!  Hope you get into them tomorrow  and it never happened if there ain't pictures!

Congrats on making meat!

God bless,

Rodd

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 06:28:44 AM »
Rain today.Will make for good stalking but may prove challenging keeping the ol' pan dry.We'll see what happens.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »
Congrats!  Not the limit that counts but the effort expended, me thinks! You done good hoss! :)

Hope today is productive...

Keep yer powder dry! :)

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »
Took some time during the rain to set my setup finished (well 90%).

Bought a bunch of various muzzleloader stuff from an older friend that got out of it and got this leather bag which I will setup as a .32 cal bag.

I happened to have that small pouch laying around the shop that I had bought at a yard sale sometime ago.Wasn't sure what the heck I was gonna do with it but it's the matching ball bag for this bag.I'll keep the patches in their 18th century style ziplock bag for now. ;)

The rod ends fit nicely in a small Altoids tin.I made up a bunch of various grain powder measures from copper tubing.That one was 25gr but I sanded off the top to about 23-22 or so.I need to get back out to the forge and make up another screwdriver/vent pick tool since that one came out of the .50 bag.I also have been tossing around an idea for a squirrel carrier design.I wish my forge was inside a shop otherwise today would be prime to get those done.

Not pictured is the flint wallet I sewed up.

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »
While I was cutting wood last month I found this piece of spalted Red Oak and it had some green in it too.I took it and cut it into pieces on a small band saw.

Drilled some holes in it and one loading block ready to go.I put 9 holes in it because over the winter their is a primitive Biathlon here and there are 9 targets.I will prob make another with 4.

I left this one unfinished and blocky for carving because it will give me something to do in the woods when I am sitting.

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
Nice shooting!  Hope you get into them tomorrow  and it never happened if there ain't pictures!

Congrats on making meat!

God bless,

Rodd
Thanks!I try to get pics as much as I can.Sometimes things happen too fast lol

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
Congrats!  Not the limit that counts but the effort expended, me thinks! You done good hoss! :)

Hope today is productive...

Keep yer powder dry! :)
Thanks!

It's not looking like it will be clearing up much but will use the time to get some other things done.

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
Got up to my buddys' camp this morning and setup looking over a clear cut in hopes a bear would come through.Bear opened the same day as squirrel.Had to tote the .50 up in,but had the .32 in the truck.

After a few hours I walked further up and to the ledges.Found a nice overhang to maybe make a little fire pit and camp one night.

Headed on up further and sat in a draw overlooking an old bus and a clearing with apple trees and berries.

Working on that loading block...

I've got a small Asbell neck knife.Works great as a patch knife,cleaning game or for carving.I always buy one every year at Fred and Theresas' table at ETAR.

Headed out at noon,and changed gears for a squirrel hunt.Was very windy today after yesterdays' rain and saw virtually no squirrels.

I sat and still hunted hard all day,but couldn't find much of anything.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 08:18:49 AM »
Looks like beautiful country to prowl around in, success or not.

Charlie Lamb is quoted as having said, "Being there was good enough"...nice outlook!

Do you stabilize your spalted wood?  Usually it's so soft, it disintegrates in my limited experience...

Be interesting to see what you carve onto your loading block...

Online vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 05:20:31 AM »
Do you stabilize your spalted wood?  Usually it's so soft, it disintegrates in my limited experience...

Be interesting to see what you carve onto your loading block...

You probably should,but I don't.It's still pretty darn hard.Those logs were only there for a year so wood was still primo condition.

It won't be anything fancy,but I can do some decent folk art.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »
I was reading that there are some simple set ups for stabilizing smaller pieces of wood, with brake bleeder set ups and mason jars and simple wood hardeners, not the fancy commercial kits.

I hope you share your artwork here once you've carved it up... love to see it! :) :thumbs: