About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

Author Topic: Patch Knife/Fire Striker/Screw Driver/ Flint Sharpener/Beverage Opener  (Read 187 times)

Online tippit

After watching Rob's video on sharpening dull flints, I got the idea of forging a multipurpose patch knife.  This is the only knife I carry all the time...my pocket/beverage hand forged knife.  If I added a screw driver head at the end of the curled handle, I think it would do all of the above?  I'd appreciate your comments. 

This BP shooting has really got me going.  I pulled out my old CVA 45 Cal percussion Hawkin that I used to shoot.  Now I'm considering making one of the Kibler flintlocks.  Very cool site!  Thanks...Rob

tippit

Online tippit

Oops...not the picture I wanted.  The flare at the end could easily be made into a screw driver head...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
i know it sounds like a good idea, and it did to me at one time, but until you've been afield, or even at a range with a flintlock rifle firing off, you might better appreciate a separate combination tool for a turnscrew and gun flint knapper because swinging around that razor sharp patch knife is scary.

ADDED:  post thoughts about a patch knife - i want a knife that's very sharp and with enuf handle to use a a helper for a thumb started patched balls (i prefer loose, thumb started patched balls and would never resort to a "short starter", nor do any between shot fouling control).

i've had a design in mind for a turnscrew/knapper that also incorporates a gun flint pressure flaker at one edge of the turnscrew blade, for the best of both gun flint knapping worlds.  my current turnscrew/knapper was forged by eric bartch out of s7 super hard steel.  the problem with some turnscrews can be twofold - too soft and not fine enuf parallel sided blade for those super narrow cock jaw screws.   

i think the better turnscrew is in a folded over "T" shape, with wide blade that has a 1/32" x 1/16" notch for pressure flaking.

Online tippit

Rob,
Do you have any pictures or drawings of what you are describing.  As apposed to making a knife that is tempered to take out hardness, one can certainly keep the devise hard by just quenching with very little tempering.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
i like this turnscrew/knapper ...

... but it would be improved with an asymmetrical "T" handle and an aded 1/32" x 1/16" pressure flaker notch on one side of the blade ...

Online tippit

Even though I sat next to Woody Blackwell while he showed be how to knap an arrow, I'm not sure how the notch works to sharpen the flint edge?

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
the notch in the blade is for pressure knapping ....