About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

Author Topic: Makin patchin  (Read 163 times)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Makin patchin
« on: October 20, 2017, 06:59:39 PM »
Rob already showed us in a nice video how to cut cloth into 2.5" wide strips, grease up with Gato Feo semi hard lube, then heat with a hair dryer or heat gun, so I won't try to go into all that.

Today I drove an hour to a Joanne Fabric Store and got some muslin 100% cotton, tight weave material that mic's .015-.0155

Depending on location on the bolt and how hard I cranked my mic...

I cut them into strips (well, some of it) and made up 5 rolls 33"x2.5" wide and greased with Gato Feo (I keep in fridge so it stays together for rubbing)

Then I heated it with an ersthile Harbor Freight heat gun.  ( I say erstwhile cause one I had prior I used for 40 second perios 5 times and it burned up---took it back and fussed a bit and got a replacement)

Being I like to hunt, I always go afield with a clean bore... the .010 slide down a bit too easily and cleaning/ drying between shots, the .015 Rob shared with me worked better, so now I have some of my own made up.

Got new flints that fit the GPR better from TOTW and am ready for another range session...

All this prep and the season here is only 2 weeks, but then come regular gun it's archery, MZ or white devil powder burners... :)

Online goingoldskool

Re: Makin patchin
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:55:33 PM »
Sounds like you're well on your way! 2 weeks ain't long at all.... especially when the weather fluctuates like it does here in the midwest!

Keep us posted!
Good luck and God bless,
Rodd

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Makin patchin
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 07:43:19 PM »
Amen on the weather...especially with flinters!