About Traditional Muzzleloaders!         Loading BPCR Cartridges!
Snapshots of the Past!         MUZZLELOADER Magazine Cover Art!

Author Topic: My unconventional tomahawks  (Read 120 times)

Offline Shiloh1944

My unconventional tomahawks
« on: August 07, 2017, 11:20:28 AM »
I realize it is probably better to be motivated and devote our time to things that are noble, but I also think it is sometimes better to be motivated by desire than to not be motivated at all. Sometimes it pushes me to attempt things I might not otherwise try.

Ever since I saw the movie “The Patriot” I have wanted a tomahawk like the one Mel Gibson used in the awesome combat scene where he dispatched several British solders that were taking his eldest son to be executed. However a tomahawk like that one, if you could find one, would cost literally thousands of dollars since they are custom made.

As I pondered my options I realized making one would require a forge I did not have room for and other equipment I did not have. Getting all the equipment together would be about as expensive as having a tomahawk custom made, so for me forging my own was not an option.

While searching the internet I discovered an inexpensive but well made tomahawk that if modified just might satisfy what I imagined. So I ordered one and my project began. I realize everything I have done in design isn’t period correct but it does show you what a little imagination will produce.

The photos are what the tomahawk looks like originally, what it looks like in the process of being modified, and then the final product in the next posts.

Offline Shiloh1944

Re: My unconventional tomahawks
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
More photos

Offline Shiloh1944

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »
More photos.

It was only my second attempt at trying to do some wire inlay. That is my makers mark attempted on the end of the haft. Not so good as there are some gaps. I may remove it and just do a brass end cap as I have done on other hawks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:45:36 AM by Shiloh1944 »

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
fabulous work!  love it!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
That is one deadly looking Mutha of a hawk! 

I thought in the earliest pic you took off the "teeth" on the leading edge, but later see thats not the case...

Very good looking and most useful tool...

Online Tony Van Dort

• BPG Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »
Very nice!!
 :thumbs:

Offline Shiloh1944

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 11:28:20 AM »
Thanks for the kind remarks.

A few years ago I wanted a Shiloh Sharps rifle but at the time lacked the funds, so to overcome that obstacle I began doing these and sold some of them online. After I accomplished that goal and made enough to buy a Sharps I sort of got burned out on doing them. Every once in awhile I get the urge to do another one until I realize how much work is involved and the urge usually subsides.  :) This time, however, the urge didn't go away. Gotta try to do one every now and then I suppose.

Here is a photo of others I have done in the past.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
Son,

I'd say you do and did a yeomens job on making those... beauty and function...can't beat that combo with a... well----hammer head hatchet! :):) :-* :thumbs:

Offline Shiloh1944

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »
I need to divert all that energy into trying my hand at building a rifle. I have just not been able to pull the trigger on what kit I might want to try, whether TOTW, PR, or some other.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
I need to divert all that energy into trying my hand at building a rifle. I have just not been able to pull the trigger on what kit I might want to try, whether TOTW, PR, or some other.

Boy, Envy is the work of the Dark One, but I admit I feel some envy of those with skill to raw build and survive!

:thumbs:

Git er done!

www.PowderhornsAndMore.com