About Traditional Muzzleloaders!         Loading BPCR Cartridges!
Snapshots of the Past!         MUZZLELOADER Magazine Cover Art!

Author Topic: Lyman Great Plains Rifle - jag failure  (Read 136 times)

Online Tony Van Dort

• BPG Member
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - jag failure
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
I encountered this my first time swabbing the slime outta the barrel.  cut a patch, pushed it down with the included jag attachment and the patch came to the light of day with lotsa goo, etc.  So far so good.   Second time down the tube...nothing changed, the patch was significantly less slimy...but, luckily noticed this:

apologize for the blur, but you get the idea, i'm sure.

...and then the fix:

The ramrod assembly included with this kit is pretty much junk.  The brass on either end was fit off center with the dowel.  that is no biggie but I thought you'd like to know about the loose jag-end.  Can you imagine the difficulty of getting that outta your barrel?

I drilled a .070 in hole in the brass ferrule and pinned it with the tip of a finishing nail.  Would have preferred a brass brad but had to settle on what I could find. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:28:28 PM by Tony Van Dort »

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle - jag failure
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »
yep, as you've learned, *ALL* ferruled rods need to be pinned as well as epoxied.   :thumbs:

to really get the proofing crud outta the barrel and chambers completely and fast, i would pull the barrel off the stock, pull off the touch hole liner, stick the ignition end in a bucket of plain water, and with yer fixed jag rod put a patch down the barrel and pump water up and down (but don't take the patched outta the barrel).  then dry off with patches on the brush (for the ante-chamber) and on the jag (for the barrel).  clean and put back the touch hole liner with some anti-seize grease, put some gun oil on a patch on the brush and oil the ante-chamber, do the same with a jag for the barrel.  done!

forgot, did you open the touch hole to 1/16"?

Online Tony Van Dort

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
yep, as you've learned, *ALL* ferruled rods need to be pinned as well as epoxied.   :thumbs:

forgot, did you open the touch hole to 1/16"?

"as you've learned.....LOL - apparently got lucky   ::)

Yeah...as I wallow in my quick-start personality I probably missed a few KEY aspects of this process.  I will now be able to clean with the bucket, etc. 

Will take a 1/16" bit to the touch hole tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:32:20 AM by Tony Van Dort »

Online rollingb

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
I encountered this my first time swabbing the slime outta the barrel.  cut a patch, pushed it down with the included jag attachment and the patch came to the light of day with lotsa goo, etc.  So far so good.   Second time down the tube...nothing changed, the patch was significantly less slimy...but, luckily noticed this:

apologize for the blur, but you get the idea, i'm sure.

...and then the fix:

The ramrod assembly included with this kit is pretty much junk.  The brass on either end was fit off center with the dowel.  that is no biggie but I thought you'd like to know about the loose jag-end.  Can you imagine the difficulty of getting that outta your barrel?

I drilled a .070 in hole in the brass ferrule and pinned it with the tip of a finishing nail.  Would have preferred a brass brad but had to settle on what I could find.
It can be done without much trouble if you can get 5-10 grs. of ffffg into the ante chamber and "shoot it out".
Will probably have to remove the vent liner to do that with a flintlock,.... percussion, just remove the clean-out screw, OR, nipple, and dribble the ffffg in the respective hole, put the screw back in, OR the nipple, push the patched ramrod-end back down to the breech, cap and fire into the ground. You'll more'n likely have to do some diggin' in order to get the ramrod-end back out of the ground, so be prepared to do that.  :thumbs:

Compressed air works good to, if you have access to it.  :thumbs:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold."
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/

Online Tony Van Dort

• BPG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:03:29 AM »
Thanks Rondo,
I am leaning towards "an ounce of prevention". 
I do have access to compressed air but many others prolly not...
Thinking I'll just pin em tight...then no worries (or down time)
 :thumbs:

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:39 AM »
with your GPR flinter's ante-chamber, pull the touch hole liner, fill the ante-chamber to the brim (about 25-30 grains) with black powder (3f or coarser), screw back the liner, bang out whatever's stuck in the barrel's chamber.  easy peasy.   :thumbs:

Online rollingb

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
Thanks Rondo,
I am leaning towards "an ounce of prevention". 
I do have access to compressed air but many others prolly not...
Thinking I'll just pin em tight...then no worries (or down time)
 :thumbs:
That's ALWAYS the "smart move".  :thumbs:  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold."
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:30:12 AM »
I am building three ram rods out of Purple Heart I found a place on line that sell what I need.
I am crazy about Longbows Muzzleloaders

www.PowderhornsAndMore.com