For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available ....

CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Why's he doing that?  (Read 1602 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Why's he doing that?
« on: December 14, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
 8)

Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Offline rollingb

Re: Why's he doing that?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:17:03 AM »
He's "running buffalo",.... and spitting another ball down the bore (after having taken a previous shot) which he'll "settle on the powder" by bring the gun's butt down smartly on the saddle.

After a buffalo runner had taken his first shot, he continued loading and shooting from horseback,.... powder wasn't accurately "measured" but rather poured into the bore until the rider thought the charge was sufficient (when loading on horseback), and a few extra balls were carried in their mouth and one was spit "bare" into the bore each time the gun was recharged with powder. After the rider settled the ball on his powder charge, he was ready to bringing his horse up alongside another "buff", then quickly bring the muzzle of his gun down (in line with the buffalo's heart) and fire before the ball rolled off the powder (creating an air-space) and blowing up his gun.

There are lots of stories about hunters "running buffalo",.... even Custer tried it, and ended up having to walk back to camp after shooting his horse in the back of the head with his (cartridge) pistol.  ???  ;D ;D ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:58:53 AM by rollingb »
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold."
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
All that?  here I thought, being a dummie, it was just fouling control after reading Rob's stuff... Doh!

Offline Monterey

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
The other thing I read on that somewhere was that their flash holes were oversized and the pan self primed when they thumped it to settle the ball. The thing about the picture is that holding the rifle up like a bugle doesn't make sense.
Mike Lee

Offline rollingb

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
The other thing I read on that somewhere was that their flash holes were oversized and the pan self primed when they thumped it to settle the ball. The thing about the picture is that holding the rifle up like a bugle doesn't make sense.
Yep,... short barrels, and large vent holes, surely made loading much easier.  :thumbs:
BTW,.... 20-25 years ago, I did a little experimenting with (going through the motions of) loading a 30" barrel NWTG while on horseback (sans "powder and ball"). Even attempting to go through the "motions" of loading at a "trot" was entirely next to impossible,... trying to load while the horse was running, was smoother and a lot easier, but I still managed to loosened up a front tooth with the muzzle of my trade gun.
All my attempts were made with my head turned slightly to my left and the butt of the NWTG hanging down somewheres close to my left foot.

As I said,... I only went through the "motions" of loading my NWTG, to kind'a see if I might have been able to do it while chasing an actual buffalo while on horseback.
I learned that to keep from knocking one's own teeth out ya have to use your hand as a "buffer/cushion" between your mouth and the barrel's muzzle,... it only takes one "smack" in the teeth to learn this.  :thumbs:

No way,... would I advise someone to try loading their smoothie while on horseback and holding the gun like the hunter depicted in the picture.  ???
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold."
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/

Offline Yewbender

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 11:02:12 PM »
I guess back then it was easy to tell if someone was a buffalo runner because he was missing some fromt teeth!