Black Powder Gang is all about the firearms, and their times and people,
that use "black powder" (known in the 18th and 19th centuries as "gun powder")
as the propellant in both muzzleloading and cartridge guns.
About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Got a couple more!  (Read 846 times)

Offline dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
Got a couple more!
« on: June 05, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
Once our squirrel season opens I am like a kid in a candy store! It's still 2 1/2 months until bow season opens so hunting them gives me something to do besides mow grass and cuss. I got a late start yesterday and went to the woods not as prepared as I should have been. I got into a wad of them about 9:30 but I only had two loads with me so that's what I killed. I know where they are hanging out now so I will be laying for them next time. One of them I killed was an old boar that I will have to pressure cook for a month to tender him up. He'll still be some good eating, though. How those dudes get around dragging a package like that is a mystery to me!

Darren

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
Re: Got a couple more!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »
Good going, Darren. 

That ole boy sired more'n his share of pups I imagine... Don't let no red squirrels move in... somehow those pesky li'l buggars drive off the grays...

We used to "par-boil" (partially cook tender) then cut up, bread in spiced flour and bake...

Did ground hog, rabbit, squirrel that way... Course, a pressure cooker make short work of it all...

Online goingoldskool

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:36:34 PM »
Nice work!  Anytime that you can get out in the woods and not have to mow, is certainly a GOOD day!  The last mess that I cooked up, I put them into the smoker for a couple hours.....  turned out mighty fine!

God Bless,

Rodd

Offline vtmtnman

• Mountain member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
Nice!

Thats crazy your season opens now!Ours is still 3 months off.I am chopping at the bit to getout in the squirrel woods.