If it loads and shoots with Black Powder ~ muzzle or cartridge ~ y'all come to the right place!

** BPGang Forum Rules **

For smartphone and tablet users, a BPGang mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: antler powder measure project  (Read 2337 times)

Online goingoldskool

• BPG Member
antler powder measure project
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:38:10 PM »
Hey guys,
I wanna pick your brain on this one.....  I would like to make my own powder measure/charger out of antler and need to know the best way to go about doing it...  I don't have a bunch of antlers to play with, so I'd like to get it right from the start.....

I'm planning on drilling out the center of the antler with electric drill and was wondering if it needs to be sealed with lacquer, tru-oil, etc?  I'm planning on hanging it from my possibles bag via a leather cord. That being said, is it best to carve a groove or drill a hole in the top angling out as not to diminish the topped off 'load'?

Thanks for the info!

God Bless,

Rodd

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
Re: antler powder measure project
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »
you will need a heckuva large antler that's at least 1" at the base and doesn't taper too much.  vise it tight with pads and begin drilling the hole.  some folks have use really sharp forstner bits in a drill press, but for a hand held drill that didn't work well for me and i hadda resort to the drill press.  go slow and easy, chew off little pieces.  stinks a bunch, too.  ;D  but so does cutting horn.   8)

interestingly, i just made one today, but out of a cow horn.  much easier and faster.   8)

i have a box of horns and just looked for one that had the smallest diameter and longest pointy end.  then drop a small but bright flashlight into the horn to get an idea of where it hollowed out and just cut off about a 5" piece of the tip.  cleaned it out, filled my measure with 80 grains of 3f and poured it into the cut off tip. settled the powder and penciled a line inside the horn, just above the powder.  cut off the horn at an angle and about 1/4" above the inside pencil mark.  refilled with 80 grains to check.  went to the sanding station and trimmed back that angled cut.  used a rat tail file to groove the pour lip of the horn measure.  cut off the pointy end of the horn, rounded it off and drilled a small hole for the leather thong that attaches to the shooting bag strap.

filled to the low edge gives me  good 80 grains.  i'm gonna also do 70 and 60 grains, add inside scratch marks and color them with black ink.  an olde tyme adjustable horn measure.  ;)

Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL

Online goingoldskool

• BPG Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »
Thanks Rob....  I've seen the cow horn ones and that might be the way I need to go, but I DO have some spare antlers and NO cow horns!  ;D

If I can not get the antler to work, I will pursue the horn route.

Have you heard of sealing up the antler?  I don't know if it will draw moisture or not....

Thanks again!

Rodd

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »
antler can be real porous, i wick in water thin CYA ("hot stuf" et al) and does a good 'n' quick seal.
Trad Gang ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ TMA ~ NRA ~ NRA RSO ~ GOA ~ VCDL