About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Late 19th Century Rifles & Cartridges

Loading Black Powder
Paper Patched Bullet Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

The American Sharps Shooters

The Denny Ducet Muzzleloader
Video Library

Author Topic: Your experience dropping deer  (Read 2876 times)

Offline bwallace10327

Re: Your experience dropping deer
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »
I am happy to see you posting here Longhunter, looking forward to reading more of your stories. :camp:

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 01:04:09 AM »
Wow...back in those days, Ron, you probably threw the moose over your shoulder and walked out!!!

It took my partner (he was hunting with a modern rifle) and I three days to get the meat and horns back to the truck. First day we skinned, quartered and hung the quarters. Second day we boned the meat and packed it in cloth grain bags and packed it 400yds to the river and loaded our two canoes. Third day we broke camp and headed 40 miles as the crow fly's up river in our motorized  canoes, loaded to the gunnels with gear and meat. I had to leave the 200# hide in the bush, the canoes couldn't carry the extra weight. It took all day to navigate upstream and to make matters worse, it rained then turned to snow. (click on pictures)

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »
Wasn't meant disrespectfully, Ron...just you looked so young and virile in that pic with the moose!

As for the hide, yeah, they're a bit thick!

When living in MT, a Bush Cop's wife got a draw tag for late season cow moose.  She got it. He asked if I'd like to come out to help him hang,skin and butcher it.  I agreed... Once skinned, I folded the skin up and tried to lift it...Wouldn't budge but I think part of my innards fell into my sock.   ::)

Later, another chap brought in a tanned moose hide to have another friend, a saddle maker, to have him make chaps..... Friend wanted to send it out to be split... Guy refuses..so we build these thick chaps.  Oiled up and ready, the guy leaves with them...comes back 2 weeks later asking us to disassemble and send out to be split and then re-assemble.

Seems he was coming out of high country on a horse in a downpour and even oiled, he couldn't get off his horse for fear of breaking a leg when he lit on the ground, they'd absorbed that much water he couldn't move! 8)

Those canoes look to be heavily loaded.  Smart to not risk taking the hide yet!

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »
Wasn't meant disrespectfully, Ron...just you looked so young and virile in that pic with the moose

None taken. Ya, 38 years ago I guess I was a lot more VIRLE then.  :D :D

I regret having to leave that beautiful hide but like you said it took two men to lift it. Thinking back I might have been able to take the cape and have a shoulder mount made. I have the antlers mounted in the shop. 

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »
I found this picture of when we got to the end of our return up the river.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 08:53:53 AM »
Yikes, Ron... looks like a good way to get wet and cold... but playing "tip A Canoe" would get/gotten ya dead!

EZ to 2nd guess oneself 38 yrs later.  Nice memory, but those days are likely behind us now, eh? :)

Online dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
The first deer I ever shot with my 50 caliber flintlock and PRB was about 75 yards away. She went about 50 yards. All the other deer I've killed with that gun have been 30 yards or less and they have run about the same distance. My dad shot a buck last season with his Hawken and PRB at 164 yards. That deer went about 40 yards.

I've shot a lot of deer with a high-powered rifle who ran that far too. You can shoot their heart clean out and they can still cover a lot of distance before they pile up. It's just part of it.

Darren

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
The first deer I ever shot with my 50 caliber flintlock and PRB was about 75 yards away. She went about 50 yards. All the other deer I've killed with that gun have been 30 yards or less and they have run about the same distance. My dad shot a buck last season with his Hawken and PRB at 164 yards. That deer went about 40 yards.

I've shot a lot of deer with a high-powered rifle who ran that far too. You can shoot their heart clean out and they can still cover a lot of distance before they pile up. It's just part of it.

Darren

I don't know how they generate these "FACTOIDS" but I read some deer biologist somewhere said a deer can run the 100 in under 4 seconds.

With their heart severed or blow to shards, they'll easily cover 100... This source on the 100 yard dash also said it takes about 4 seconds for the brain to deplete of  oxygen, so it would suggest even with no 02, they can go that four second-100 yard dash.

I've had a few when opened up, the heart rolled out and they easily went 100-120 yards, albeit down hill then flat along a river, so at least I am a believer...

You gotta hit the spine somewhere to have em DRT.

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
My moose hunt was many years ago when I was young and virile  :( ..but the memories of that adventure will remain with me for the rest of my life.
Whenever I look at the antlers over the door of my shop those memories come flooding back and I relive those days again....when I was young.

Online doc nock

• BPG Member
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
Yes-ter-day, ....when I Was young...  I think there is an old song in there somewhere....

Better to have done then not. 

I don't know I was ever Virile, Ron, maybe Viral a time or 3 but virile? Dunno!  Sho nuff ain't now!  :-\ :o ::)

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 01:06:06 AM »

Online dhaverstick

• High-tech hillbilly
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:05 AM »
That's a great photo and I bet a fine adventure. I went on my first moose hunt 2 years ago in Alberta and I was lucky enough to kill a young bull with my longbow. It sure would be fun to shoot one with a flintlock too! I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had the cash. We're running low on Bullwinkle meat and the moose herd is kinda thin in southern Missouri. I guess I better start saving my pennies.

Darren

Offline Longhunter

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
Do all you can as soon as you can. Age creeps up on us all too soon and old bodies aren't able to do what they once could do...I speak from experience.  :(

Offline lyrrad

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 02:58:17 PM »
That's my thinking.  I'm 46 now and hunt as much as I can.  I don't want to have any regrets later that I should have spent more time in the field.  There's no promise of tomorrow for anyone!