About Traditional Muzzleloaders

Loading BPCR/BPTR Cartridges
Snapshots of the Past

BP Gang Pic of the Week

Author Topic: The .58's  (Read 1501 times)

Offline rollingb

Re: The .58's
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 05:22:06 PM »
now that there's a beauty, rondo!   :thumbs: :thumbs:

'cept it ain't a finter!  ;D  :wavey:  :camp:
It had the percussion lock'n drum on it at the time I took the pitcher,.... but it is a true "convertible" and can be  changed to flint in about 5 minutes.  :thumbs:

Actually,.... to my knowledge, no "documentation" of a "flint" early full stock S.Hawken exists, as the only surviving examples of this type of firearm are "percussion".
If any such documentation (ever) does "come to light", this'n will probably wear it's flint lock permanently. 
I realize many replica Early Full Stock Hawkens are being built these days as flinters (even sometimes showing up in AMM camps), but IMO they lack "historical province" (sort'a like flint half-stock Hawkens).  :) :camp:

i think you meant "half stock" - there are no physical examples nor records of half stock flint hawkens, only full stock flint hawkens (which preceded their half stock percussion guns).
No,... :) I meant full stock, there is lack of "historical province" for either Full stock, or Half stock, plains-style, Hawken "flinters".  :)

I'm not saying,... that  Christian Hawken (Sam's dad) didn't build slim, flint, full stock rifles, in Hagerstown Maryland (that resembled many other eastern "schools" of long rifles) but,.... there are no known existing examples of the robust, larger bore, plains-style, "flint" full stock rifles (before transitioning into their famous "half" stocks) being built by Samuel and his brothers in St. Louis.

To date, all (to my knowledge) surviving examples of S. Hawken full (and "half") stock rifles, made in St. Louis, Missouri by Sam and his brothers,... were "percussion".  :thumbs:

What we are seeing "replicating",.... S. Hawken full stock rifles that were built in St. Louis, lack historical province they were ever made in "FLINT".  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold."
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »
Mike,
OUTSTANDING! What is the gain twist rate on that barrel?

1 in 96 @ the breech with parabolic curve left hand twist to 1 in 48 @ the muzzle which will allow for heavy loads and conical bullets as well as allow for patched round balls and not effect the patch.

Offline PrivateJack

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 09:34:23 PM »
Many thanks. Don't recall ever reading about a muzzle loading hunting rifle with gain twist.